If you are ready to take that exciting first step and hire a ghostwriter, then you need to read the following important information before you hire your ghostwriter!
So, you think you are ready to hire a ghostwriter? Firstly, congratulations!
Hiring a ghostwriter is an exciting part of your self-publishing or traditional publishing journey. We all have our own reasons for hiring a ghostwriter. Perhaps the time is a problem. We all have busy lives. Maybe you can’t express yourself when you write, but you have an amazing story to tell, or perhaps you’d rather leave your self-published book or novel in the hands of a professional. Whatever the reason, the following information will help you narrow down your search and find the perfect ghostwriter for your next project.
When you hire a ghostwriter, you’re hiring a professional to complete a task for you. The most important thing you need to remember is that not all ghostwriters will be suitable for your book. Some ghostwriters focus on specific genres, while others like to pick and choose the projects that they work on. Maybe your book is just so far out on the left field that it’s going to be a tougher search. Whatever the reason, don’t rush into it and take your time finding a professional who wants to work with you just as much as you want to work with them.
Places like Fiver, UpWork, and other freelancing sites are full of professional writers. Remember, you get what you pay for, so it’s important to understand that from the beginning.
Frequently Asked Questions for Your Ghostwriter
- What are you paying for? – This is the most important question to narrow down. You’re not just paying for a few words on a page. This is a tough one to answer but an important one to understand. You’re hiring a ghostwriter to get the bulk of your book written, words on paper. They will use their creative talents to fill in the gaps in your book. Often, when you’re hiring a writer to write something you could write yourself, your standards tend to be a lot higher.
- What Will It Cost to Hire A Writer? – Obviously, you get what you pay for. If you’re happy to work on the project yourself afterward and do some serious editing and proofreading, you can source cheaper writers from freelancing sites at around $5 per 200-300 words. If you want a native English speaker that has basic grammar, then you’re going to hit the mid-range prices at around $20 per 200-300 words. If you want a completely finished and proofread book that’s polished and ready to go, then you’re in custom pricing at the top of the range.
- How Many Words Should I Purchase? – This can be a tricky one. You need to look at the story you’re trying to tell, how much detail you want to go into, and what your budget is for the finished project. As we mentioned above… you get what you pay for. Don’t limit your book if it’s going to affect You’ll only be disappointed later.
- How Long Will It Take to Get the Book Finished? – You can’t expect miracles from your ghostwriter. Try to negotiate a timeline that suits both them and you. You don’t want them to rush but don’t give them years to finish a project either. The average amount of time you should allow for most eBooks is 4-12 weeks.
Before You Hire a Ghostwriter Checklist
Before you go looking for a ghostwriter, here are some important things you should have organized. When you have all this information ready, you’ll be a lot more confident in speaking to different writers and getting a happy ending to your project.
- Establish if you’re going to do the research and supply all the information and resources to your writer yourself or pay them to do it.
- Pay more upfront for the writing or pay more for editing and proofreading later.
- Write the chapter outline yourself, including resources for each chapter.
- Do your own editing and proofreading at the end of the project, or pay them for a completed eBook package.
- Are you going to publish or self-publish? If you’re self-publishing, are you going to all your own book formatting for self-publishing platforms or hire a professional?
- What size or word count are you looking for?
- What is your total budget for the completed project, and how much are you allowing for ghostwriting?
Questions to Ask Your Ghostwriter Before You Commit?
- How much do you charge per word or per project?
- How long until you can finish this project?
- What services do you include in your price? Revisions, editing, proofreading, formatting,?
- Do you require a deposit to start working?
- Have you written a book like this before?
- Do you have any references for your work?
- How often will you deliver updates?
- What will you need to get started?
Important Information Before You Hire A Ghostwriter! – Conclusion
There you go! Everything you need to know before you make any decisions to hire a ghostwriter for your upcoming project. If you have a great idea for a book but don’t have the time or skills necessary to write it, then a ghostwriter is a great choice.
If you have any questions about publishing or ghostwriting, feel free to contact us at Indie Publishing Group. We have a friendly and professional team standing by to help you!
At Indie Publishing Group, we’re proud to assist Canadian and North American authors in self-publishing their work. If you are in the process of writing a book and need any assistance with paperback or ebook formatting, cover design, professional editing, or uploading to self-publishing sites such as Amazon KDP and Ingram Spark, please don’t hesitate to reach out and contact us.
Our experienced and professional self-publishing team is standing by to assist you with your self-publishing dreams.